I was kind of taken aback at first. In the two-months-and-a-bit that I’ve been writing this blog, I still get a little thrill every time someone actually comments on what I’ve written. So imagine my surprise when one of those comments contained an award!
Angela at the awesomely titled Not Appropriate For All Audiences has nominated me for something called the Liebster Award. As Angela explains:
The Liebster award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. What is a Liebster? The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. She further describes this award in the following fashion: “one mark up from a participation ribbon, it’s one part chain letter mixed with equal parts fraternity hazing and bragging rights, with a generous heaping of exposure.” Basically, it’s a means of saying “good work and welcome to the blogging community – we like you.”
Aw shucks. 🙂
I was flattered, of course. Then I was a little conflicted. You see I really don’t like chain letters. My kids were never allowed to participate in them, and I don’t go along with the whole “copy and paste this into your status” schtick on Facebook. So I did a tiny bit of research (because that’s how I approach anything new) and found a few references to the origins of the award, although the original post seems to have been lost somewhere in blog antiquity (if there is such a thing).
Interestingly, the original terms were a bit different. When the award started circulating it was aimed at bloggers with less than 3000 followers, and you were supposed to nominate 3-5 other bloggers. The current criteria are a bit more demanding, but I will play along as best I can.
And as for my whole “but it’s a chain letter” angst– I got over that pretty quickly. What I don’t like about chain letters is when they threaten horrible consequences for breaking the chain, or alternatively promise grand things they can’t possibly deliver. (I never DID get the 20 postcards from all over the world…) But the Liebster award seems to be all about peer recognition and community building, which are two of the things I like best about blogging. So I’m in!
The current rules are as follows:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the 11 questions the awarder has given to you, the awardee.
3. You, now the awarder, create 11 questions for your nominees, who are now the
4. Choose 11 awardees, link to their website, and notify them.
5. No award-backs
#4 is a bit daunting, but I note that Angela has been working at doling out her Liebster nominations for a while, so I will adopt the same gradual approach! I am also going to go with 10 facts about me and 10 questions, because that’s what Angela did, so it means I get to be a rebel and a follower all at the same time, and I just love that sort of contradiction.
First then, 10 scintillating facts about me:
- I used to be an English teacher, so I’m apt to go around using words like “scintillating” and pointing out when your pronouns don’t have clear antecedents.
- I collect artwork with images of loons. Really.
- I own five pairs of black pants.
- I taught eleventh grade geography for three years. The highest level at which I studied geography was tenth grade.
- I have come close to dying three times. If I was a cat I would still have six lives to go.
- I once crossed an international border carrying no identification and wearing nothing but a hospital gown. (see # 5 above)
- I have two tattoos. Guess what images they are. (Hint: see #2 above)
- I do not currently own a television.
- I love the movie Waitress. If you haven’t seen it, do. It will restore your faith in humanity. And pie.
- And speaking of pie, it’s a generally accepted fact that I make awesome pastry.
Secondly, my responses to Angela’s questions:
1. As I love books, you probably could have predicted this one, what’s your favorite book and why? Oh goodness you can’t be serious. You might as well ask which of my children I love best! Let’s see, there’s just about anything written by Margaret Atwood and Margaret Lawrence. And Jeanette Winterson. Virgina Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own. Wuthering Heights. Massive amounts of Young Adult Science Fiction (seriously!– I’m currently reading Ender’s Game) and just about anything futuristic and dystopian.
2. What other bloggers (if any) do you currently follow? Please leave links. Lots, actually. Here are a few faves: Bulging Buttons, Must Be This Tall to Ride, Fish of Gold, Lost in Berlin, and that cynking feeling.
3. What are three reasons that you think my blog is super fucking awesome (because of course you do)? Because how could anyone NOT love a blog with the tag line “Keeping Shit Real and Alienating My Relatives?” Because you’re an awesome writer. And because I have tremendous respect for anyone who is open and candid about living with any sort of mental illness.
4. Do you believe in love at first sight? If so, would you also be willing to admit that you are highly delusional? I refuse to answer this on the grounds that my response might offend the unicorns.
5. If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would spend your money on? You mean after paying off my never ending mountain of debt? And securing a good education for my kids? And socking away an adequate retirement nest egg? Probably chocolate.
6. Have you ever had a cool celebrity encounter? Please describe. I once had mail that belonged to the captain of our local National Hockey League franchise misdirected to my address. So I went to his house to deliver it to him. My hockey-loving nephew has never quite forgiven me for not taking him along.
7. Okay: What’s your porn star name? – Name of First Pet + The Road You Grew Up On = Peter Deer Lodge. Doesn’t really work, does it?
8. List three to five songs that have been in heavy rotation on your (iPod/CD player/cassette tape) lately. When I think to put on a CD at home, lately my first choice is anything by a local group called The Weakerthans.
9. Do you believe in miracles? Absolutely! (See #5 in previous list)
10. If I sent you my address, would you please mail me a pair of underwear to make up for those disappointing chain letters? Honestly, no (see previous comment about chain letters). But neither will I ask you to send me a postcard from some far-off country, so we’ll call it even.
And now, my questions for my nominees to answer…
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- If you could spend an hour with any person, famous or otherwise, from any point in history, who would you choose and why?
- Coffee or tea?
- Cats or dogs?
- If your life had a sound track, name three songs that would figure prominently.
- Choose your superpower.
- If you were offered a “do-over” on one day of your life, which day would you pick and why?
- Have you ever successfully folded a fitted sheet?
- Why do I always get stuck sitting next to the people who talk at the theatre?
- Do you believe in miracles?