I owe this post to the inspiration of one of my favourite bloggers, Fish of Gold. The instructions for this challenge are as follows:
If you’d like to join in, here’s how it works: set a timer for 10 minutes; timing this is critical. Once you start the timer, start your list (the timer doesn’t matter for filling in the instructions, intro, etc). The goal is to write 50 things that made you happy in 2015, or 50 thing that you feel grateful for. The idea is to not think too hard; write what comes to mind in the time allotted. When the timer’s done, stop writing. If you haven’t written 50 things, that’s ok. If you have more than 50 things and still have time, keep writing; you can’t feel too happy or too grateful! (OK I confess my time may have been a bit off the 10 minutes because I was interrupted in the middle, but you get the idea…)
To join us for this project: 1) Write your post and publish it (please copy and paste the instructions from this post into yours) 2) Click on the blue frog at Tales From The Motherland 3) That will take you to another window, where you can past the URL to your post. 4) Follow the prompts, and your post will be added to the Blog Party List. Please note: the InLinkz will expire on January 15, 2016. After that date, no blogs can be added.
Please note that only blog posts that include a list of 50 (or an attempt to write 50) things that made you feel Happy or 50 things that you are Grateful for, will be included. Please don’t add a link to a post that isn’t part of this exercise; I will remove it. Aside from that one caveat, there is no such thing as too much positivity. Share your happy thoughts, your gratitude; help us flood the blogosphere with both.
In latter years, I have begun to feel the cosmic turning point of the winter solstice as a more fitting start for the “new year” that the arbitrary turning of the calendar page that takes place on January 1st. The solstice is, after all, nature’s new year. The day the days begin to lengthen towards the spring. It has been so unseasonably warm here this fall that it seems a bit odd to think of the days returning when we have scarcely gotten started on winter, but still it is nice to look forward to the day when we don’t both arrive at and depart from work in darkness.
When I came across this challenge on Fish of Gold’s blog this evening, it seemed like a fitting way to mark the turning of the sun towards a new year.
So here I go with my list of things that made me happy in 2015.
- Dark chocolate
- My kids
- My sisters
- My mom
- All my nieces and nephews.
- The rest of my amazing and slightly wacky extended family.
- My cat, even if she is evil incarnate.
- Walking in the trees.
- Listening to my sister sing.
- Writing—just about anything.
- Young adult science fiction. Yes, really.
- Anything at all by Margaret Atwood.
- Teaching teachers.
- Making collages.
- Making pie.
- Making chocolate chip banana muffins for my niece.
- My sister’s Facebook statuses.
- My other sister’s impromptu dinner parties.
- The call of a loon.
- Any body of water larger than a mudpuddle.
- Houseplants that don’t ask a lot of me.
- Creative coworkers.
- A manager who makes things happen so that I can get things done.
- Good butter chicken.
- Coffee with a good friend.
- Lunch with a good friend.
- Dinner with a good friend.
- Heck, just all the good friends. Old and new.
- Brilliant musical theatre.
- The sense of accomplishment I felt from driving all the way home from Toronto by myself.
- Small indulgences.
- Red wine with spinach pizza. (see above.)
- Anything that involves Feta cheese.
- Not having lymphoma (long story!)
- My artificial hip.
- Jeans that fit.
- Red boots.
- Shedding my mortgage.
- Rocking chairs. Just in general.
- Did I mention trees?
- And water?
- And trees by the water?
- My favourite black shirt.
- Classic videos on YouTube.
- Used bookstores.
- The full moon on a clear night.